Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Camper Interviews: Day 1

Wednesday Afternoon. July 28. Yasmine A. sits in the auditorium. She is a rising senior and a first time camper. She is playing Charmian in Antony and Cleopatra Part 1.

What was surprising for you during the rehearsal process?
It surprised me to see the difference between working in a high school theatre program and this camp – more people are dedicated and willing to push themselves and participate. Also, how we have gotten amazing people as directors. I was a little intimidated, but it was surprising to see how willing they are to talk with you and communicate openly.
What have you learned?
I learned how to convey emotions better; how to make better informed decisions when it comes to character choices. No idea is a stupid idea.
What has been your favorite part of camp, or what are you looking forward to?
I am excited about "What You Will". The clown class today was really fun. Also, the lectures have been informative – it wasn’t a really formal lecture – with interesting facts I wouldn’t have learned elsewhere.

Also, I really like how the counselors are friendly and never abuse their power. They make you feel really comfortable like they are parents and friends at the same time, so you don’t get homesick.


Taylor F. makes herself comfortable in one of the auditorium chairs. She is a first time camper and is in the production of Julius Caesar.

What was surprising for you during the rehearsal process?

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed learning to stab Caesar – the stage combat. (laughing) A little creepy.

What did you enjoy learning?

I really enjoyed the clowning workshop. It was a lot of fun.

What has been your favorite part of camp?

I really enjoyed our picnic on Gypsy Hill. I got a chance to talk to some people I hadn’t gotten to talk to before. Plus, we played Frisbee and blew bubbles.

Was camp what you expected?

It is less intense than I expected. I thought it was going to be Shakespeare 24/7; I’m glad they ease you into it. I’m glad we do more activities than just Shakespeare.


Dan H., a first year camper, lounges in one of the seats in the auditorium. He is Antony, in Antony and Cleopatra Part 2.

What was surprising for you during the rehearsal process?

I was surprised at how intense it was, emotionally. I didn’t know they would ask so much from us.

What have you learned?

I have had no experience memorizing blank verse or handling a Shakespeare character. It was much harder than I thought it would be.

What has been your favorite part of camp, or a favorite quote?

My favorite part was the clown workshop. My favorite quote? During rehearsals, I had a line where I had to say Enobarbus’ name, and I didn’t know how to say the line. So, I just went Brando on it and very dramatically screamed Enobarbus, with like six exclamation points. It has really caught on and people keep screaming it when they pass me – even people who aren’t in my cast.

Was camp what you expected?

I don’t know what I expected. I expected people to be a lot more nerdy. It’s interesting how well rounded people are. I also thought it was going to be more academic, but there are a lot of acting exercises.

Darielle Shandler

No comments:

Post a Comment