Tuesday, August 3, 2010

An Interview with Counselors

Wednesday Afternoon. July 28. One on one interviews. Anna and Hunter, the two counselors working on Julius Caesar sit comfortably in one of the library's testing rooms. All of the counselors have been campers in YCTC in previous years.

How did it feel changing from a camper to a counselor?

Anna: For me it was very strange. I didn’t take a break from being a camper to being a counselor. I went from being a camper and everyone taking care of you to being the disciplinarian, which was a switch, but I’m glad I didn’t take that break.

Hunter: Well, I was a camper for four years and then I came back after five years to being a counselor. During that five years I didn’t do anything with theatre, only things related with film. Coming back, I was worried about my capabilities as a counselor, but it turned out that my new skills were helpful and I didn’t have any trouble.

Anna: I came back, partly because I couldn’t stay away; I didn’t feel I was done being a camper. I like the relationship I had with my counselors, and it was good. I wanted to carry that on.

Hunter: Yeah, I just remembered how fun it was, and when they asked me to be a counselor that’s what brought me back. I wanted to carry that fun on.

What had been your most memorable camp moment so far?
Anna: I think for me, it was move-in day. It’s so exciting, everyone here, and getting settled.
What had the rehearsal process been like for you so far?

Hunter: It’s very interesting and totally new. I’ve never worked on a production as anything other than an actor. The dual counselor and director format really opened my eyes to being a director. It was enough to give you a taste of it.

Anna:
I really like that counselors get to be Assistant Directors. It’s a learning experience for us, too. I plan to pursue theatre, and anything I can learn is great. It is very different to watch a rehearsal process as a director, than when being in the production. Every year I’ve done this I’ve learned something about being an actor and about Shakespeare.

Darielle Shandler

No comments:

Post a Comment