Friday, August 6, 2010

Camper Interviews: Day 6

Wednesday Afternoon. August 4. Kate P. is a first year camper who is playing Charmian in YCTC’s production of Antony and Cleopatra Part 2.

What has been surprising for you during the rehearsal process?

It’s been different. Working with Jeremy West focuses a lot on professionalism. He says not to give notes to fellow actors. I agree with that and I think it’s not said enough.
What have you learned?

I like when we learned how Shakespeare published plays. That was something new and fun for me.
What has been your favorite part of camp?
I think the “What You Will” night has been my favorite. It’s so laid back. It gives you the opportunity to just let go and follow your impulses.

Was camp what you expected?

I expected it to be a really positive experience. I expected to lean a lot and meet new people, and that’s what happened.


Jonathan F. is one of this session’s two day campers. It is his first year, and he is cast as Proculeius and soldiers in Antony and Cleopatra Part 2.

What has been surprising for you in the rehearsal process?

It’s something new. Jeremy says when we stand still, stand with our muscles, not our knees. If you don’t it will make your knees really weak. Don’t lock them.

What have you learned?

Clowning, combat, voice; they have all been fun.

What has been your favorite part of camp, or what are you looking forward to?

My favorite part is seeing the shows at the Blackfriars. I’m looking forward to doing the PreShow.

Was camp what you expected?

It was more than I expected. The master classes and shows have been great.

This is Anna S.’s third and final year at YCTC. She is playing Diomedes, Clown, Captain, two attendants, and a servitor in Antony and Cleopatra Part 2.

They are asking me to do a lot[by playing a lot of characters], but its not an issue, I asked for a big challenge.
What have you learned?
It was fun to learn how to belly dance and the combat is always fun to learn.
What has been your favorite part of camp?
My favorite part of camp is seeing the shows because its something completely different than I usually get to do or see. It takes you away for awhile, almost like you are in a completely different world.
What has been different about camp this year that you liked?
I have liked how for the PreShow we have been able to be in several different groups. It gives us more to do, so we can contribute a lot more as a group. I liked that a lot.
Any favorite moments?
I think some of my favorite moments mostly involved the shows. The constant quoting of the shows. I really enjoy that and I like to see that everyone’s enjoying the Blackfriars. I think that’s kinda neat.
What kept you coming back?
The experience, the social aspect, the fun, the shows. Both seeing them at the Blackfriars and being able to perform them ourselves. It’s great how some of the actors from the ASC come teach us classes. The combination of all that is what kept me coming back. And being a theatre kid and to be around other theatre kids is great as well. It’s one of the best experiences I have ever had.

Darielle Shandler

No comments:

Post a Comment