Friday, August 6, 2010

Camper Interviews: Day 5

Tuesday Afternoon. August 3. Jane J. settles into the library study room, today her long hair is held back with a scarf on which some of Shakespeare’s sonnets are inscribed. This is her third year and fourth and final session as a YCTC camper before going off to college orientation right after camp ends.

What had been different this year at camp that you liked?
There are a lot of differences in the camp. Things have changed. “What You Will” is very different to me; the location has changed. Sonnet Night was different than the last night of camp. We haven’t done any of the salons. Usually one of the grad students led a discussion about the plays. It was a tough thing though with so many students.
What are you looking forward to?
Right now, I’m looking forward to Sonnet Night. I finished my sonnet last night and I’m very proud of it. I’m also excited about the productions. I’ve done it all before so I’m not afraid about anything. I know how it all works.
What kept you coming back?
I like how it introduced me to acting in early modern theatre. I very much like that form. It’s something that I might want to do. The camp had taught me a lot.


John P.W. sits in a chair in the library. He is a first year camper, coming to YCTC after his cousin suggested it to him. He is cast in Antony and Cleopatra Part 1, as Lepidus, Demetrius, and some messengers.

What has been surprising during the rehearsal process?

I’v really enjoyed that our director, James Keegan, is an ASC actor. It was very cool and surprising to me. He’s doing all these different shows, and yet he finds time to direct us with his son.
What have you learned?

I’ve learned so much. But at the same time it’s not specific knowledge that I can say ‘This is what I’ve learned’. I’ve learned how to act drunk onstage and also how to portray different aliments.

What has been your favorite part of camp?

I really loved the masquerade, the lake, and seeing the shows. I have really enjoyed all the lectures and master classes, which I think are very very cool. It becomes almost routine; it’s easy to forget that these people are university professors and professionals. It’s very cool when you think about it.
Was camp what you expected?
I didn’t have any expectations. My only expection was that I would put on a Shakespeare show. My cousin went here, and he assured me that it was awesome.

I think this is such an interesting place almost that any expections I would have had would be wrong. There was no way I could have expected to have master classes and be directed by ASC actors. It’s the people who make it. I’ve met so many cool people and there was no way to predict that.

Any favorite quotes or moments?
One of my favorite quotes, was at the masquerade when [the lifesize cutout of]Humphrey Bogart was being danced with and someone said, “I live through Humphrey Bogart.” Also, whenever Chris opens his mouth it’s always something funny. The things people say are the funniest when they aren’t trying to be funny.

My roommate Jay, had a massive kazoo solo. I loved “What You Will”. Chris’s Lady Gaga ukulele medley; it wasn’t something I thought possible. He was a very good performer, with his body language. There were amazing singing and shows and scenes. I like MaryLynne’s reaction to everything that went on.

Anything else?
There is so much to do, you have to manage time so you can have time. I’m off book, and I’m working on my stuff for PreShow. I’ve walked out into town with people, and I’ve had fun. And I’ve made good friends. It’s about knowing when it’s time to work and when it’s not. There’s not a formula for it, you just do it.

You can’t describe camp. Every year is different, and every time is different. Even within the same master class, even within different partners in stage combat. That’s what makes this place so awesome.

It’s like a building. The scaffolding is the plays, counselors, and directors. But it’s the people who fill it in. That’s the important part. It wouldn’t be the same with my roommate or my other friends. The removal of one person and it would change everything.

It’s like life, I guess. You do what you do for the people around you. It’s only when you work together when you get to create something. I hope I have made friends there that I will keep for a long while. Even if I don’t see them ever again. You don’t have to speak to them; you just have to remember them.


Becca M. is spending her third and final year at camp playing Octavia and a couple of messengers in Antony and Cleopatra Part 1.

What has been your favorite part of camp?

It’s just a big mesh of stuff. Nothing stands out particularly. I really like the theme of camp this year with ancient Rome and modern. I also really liked going to Mary Baldwin College for the lecture. I really like the history work we are doing. That’s really fun. I am excited about a lot of the stuff we are doing.
What has been different about camp this year that you liked?
Every year is different to an extent. I’m really comfortable this year, which is different. I just feel really satisfied.
What kept you coming back?
First of all, it’s amazing here. I had such a great experience my first year. It was the best three weeks of my life. I heard the play we were doing and said I have to be here for that. There were things last year I didn’t like and I didn’t want to end that way. I wanted to have a good final YCTC year. It’s definitely been a good session. A good way to end.

I love it. That about as simple as I can get.

Darielle Shandler

No comments:

Post a Comment