Friday, August 6, 2010

Camper Interviews: Day 4

Monday Afternoon. August 2. Caroline L. leans forward on her chair in the library. This year is her fourth and final year at camp. She is playing Agrippa in Antony and Cleopatra Part 1.

What was surprising for you during the rehearsal process?
This year I feel a lot more comfortable with myself, I feel more free. Especially with both of the Keegans. I think having two directors changes the whole dynamic. I feel more comfortable talking with them. At first I was terrified about performing in front of them, but it’s a lot easier to talk to them because they admit they have faults too. They say different things, and they make fun of each other.
What have you learned?
This year I have learned more movement and voice things through the workshops. I finally grasp what the teachers are saying.
What has been your favorite part?
Just how free it is. Every year you have kids who are asked if they want to go to Governor’s School for the summer. I feel my time is better spent here. It sets you apart for college and getting other acting jobs. The whole camp is my favorite part. It makes me unique.
What has been different this year that you liked at camp?
I kinda like how from my first year to now, the PreShow has changed every year.I really like that.
What kept you coming back to camp?

Because it’s so different than everything else, there’s nothing like YCTC in the world. There might be times when it’s frustrating, or I’m homesick, but I can’t believe how fortunate I am that I found this place.


Second year camper Kelly S. sits in the library. She is in the production of Antony and Cleopatra Part 2 and is playing many of the supporting characters.

What was surprising for you during the rehearsal process?

I was surprised at how hard it is to make so many different characters in your body and in your voice, because the costumes aren’t going to be hugely different between the characters.
What has been your favorite part of camp?
I really enjoy the PreShow rehearsals, those tend to be really cool. I remember last year we did acrobatics, but this year with the fighting, everything can be different. There is a lot of symbolism, instead of going just with the text, which is fun to play around with.
What has been different about camp this year that you liked?
Last year, I only played one character. I like this year because I get to play with a lot of different characters which is fun. Also, the people are great this year; I don’t feel there is a lot of drama. Each year is always going to be different, but it’s always going to be fun.
Any favorite moments?
I love the shows we see and the rehearsal. Everything we do; there’s always something fun.
What kept you coming back?
I loved it. It was so much fun. It was good way to keep my acting up during the summer, good way to improve acting wise. It’s one of the only times I can do Shakespeare, which I love. The atmosphere is fun. I loved it so much I wanted to come back.

Camp is awesome. It’s just something really fun to do. I get good acting
knowledge to bring back to school. I am doing a directing project at school so I’ve been watching how the directors get the actors to do what they want and get a great show.

At YCTC, everyone cares about theatre and the shows. They show up on time, and they care about what they are doing and not just doing it for the credits.


Maddie M. comes into the library study room bearing chocolate, and she pulls her chair up to the wall to lean back against it. This is her third and final year at YCTC. She plays Alexas, Canidius, and Menas in Antony and Cleopatra Part 1.

What has been surprising for you during the rehearsal process?

Well, I have the two director scenario going on. I have seen both of them on the ASC stage. It’s so rewarding to be able to see them on stage and then learn from them. These are people who have made it, and now they are helping me. You learn so much from both of them. It’s like getting two for the price of one.

What have you learned?

Every year there is so much that I learn. I learn more at this camp for real life than I do at school because I want to be an actor. If you want to be an actor, this is the place to be, because you learn so so much. When I came three years ago, I just wanted to get out of the house for the summer, but it’s been wonderful.

I’ve learned how rewarding but how difficult it is to put all that you have into a piece of art. I put all that I have into what I create on stage. I’ve learned within both styles of Directors. You have to roll with the punches.

What are you looking forward to?

I always look forward to the shows. It is the best day of my year. To perform on the same stage as all those wonderful amazing people. I want to be an ASC actor now. The stage conditions are so unique. I just love it.

I love midnight rehearsals because we drink a lot of coffee. It’s cool to be in the Blackfriars late at night because it’s all dark and mysterious and empty. Show days are still the best for me though.

What has been different about camp this year that you liked?
I actually like doing these interviews. I love talking about camp. The world needs to know about YCTC. It’s amazing.

I love camp because you learn who you are because you have to. You can be anyone. Acting is all about putting yourself into a character. It forces you to learn about yourself and love yourself.

There are a lot of new people this year. I wasn’t sure if I would like that, but I like all the new people. That means that the word had gotten out and that means that YCTC will have a future. The camp does really important stuff.

Any favorite quotes or moments?

Well, my two directors have had birthdays during camp. James Keegan stopped rehearsal early, and we all went down to Split Banana and he bought us ice cream. James Keegan is one of my acting heroes, and he bought me ice cream. The actors are so much part of the community and they are so accessible. Usually you think of actors as prima donnas. I love Shakespeare, but the part of ASC that I love the most is that the actors are real.

What kept you coming back?

I am serious about theatre, learning, having fun, about giving my all to this experience and I can’t get this experience any other way. You make so many important connections. You meet so many people, you learn so much about so many things. It’s really interesting. I know so many stories of YCTC people who have gone on to do so many important things. There are so many stories of people climbing the ladder. There’s so much that branched out of this. YCTC is really a family of people who cheer each other on.

People at YCTC really support each other. People who get leads are applauded. We help each other and support each other. That is so undervalued in other theatre experiences. It’s is usually “you, you, you” and not enough “we”.

Darielle Shandler

No comments:

Post a Comment